Could you use extra cash for the holidays? We’ve rounded up seven creative ways to earn it – especially if you have extra time on your hands but need to keep your hours somewhat flexible.
- Babysitting and Child Care. Between holiday parties and last-minute shopping runs, busy parents need a trusted child care provider. Better still, it’s a service you can keep offering after the holiday rush is over. Spread the word locally about your availability or create a profile on sites like Care.com or Nextdoor.com
- Odd Jobs/Running Errands. Many people need a helping hand with routine work around the house – not to mention holiday-specific tasks like hanging lights and shopping for party food. In addition to the sites mentioned above, search neighborhood group pages on Facebook to find out who needs help in your community.
- This time of year, families head to the airport for vacation or family gatherings. Senior citizens may need a ride to the mall. You could make some extra cash and make life a little less frantic for others by becoming a driver for services like Uber or Lyft.
- Pet-Sitting and Dog-Walking. When families travel for the holidays or host visiting relatives, they need a reliable caregiver for their pets. If you love pets, you could make this a year-round gig to earn extra income. Check out the pet sitting and dog walking opportunities online, or post fliers advertising your services at the local doggie day care or vet’s office.
- Assembling Toys. Brick and mortar stores may need extra hands to help assemble bikes, doll houses and other toys. If the words “some assembly required” don’t make you cringe, you could be a prime candidate. You may even find work with frazzled parents who don’t want to stay up until the wee hours on Christmas Day.
- Delivery services need more help around the holidays, as online sales seem to grow every year. In addition to the obvious players like FedEx and UPS, check with local florists, bakeries and catering businesses.
- Are you a whiz at math, grammar or some other subject? Do you have a knack for teaching? Tutors are always in demand. Print up some flyers to place in local schools or the library. Also keep in mind that organizations like Princeton Review often need tutors to help students with standardized test prep.
These ideas are only the beginning. Take stock of your skills and look around your community. There’s a good chance you’ll find ways to earn extra cash this holiday season while enjoying flexible hours. You may just end up with work that keeps bringing in extra cash all year long!